.NET 4 Client Profile support?

Jul 27, 2010 at 3:02 PM
Are there any plans to release a version of the TracerX_Logger assembly that targets the .NET 4 Client Profile?
Coordinator
Jul 28, 2010 at 8:05 PM

No, but as I understand it, all you would need to do is open the solution with Visual Studio 2010, allow it to convert the project to a VS 2010 project, open the properties for the TracerX-Logger project, target the .NET 4 Client Profile, and build.  Have you tried it? 

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything the logger references that wouldn't be in the Client Profile, but I've never tried it before.  I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.

Coordinator
Jul 30, 2010 at 2:32 AM
There is only 1 line of code that isn't compatible with the .NET 4 Client Profile, and it's for selecting the default output directory for ASP.NET apps. You could simply comment that line out (worked for me) since it won't get called in a Client Profile environment anyway. In a future release, I may add "Debug - Client Profile" and "Release - Client Profile" build configurations and use #ifdef around that line. Until then, you could easily do that yourself.
Nov 17, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I realize that I'm months late to the table, but I'll add a "me to" to the conversation anyway. 

I wanted to use TracerX to trace the code in one of my libraries (http://rhyduino.codeplex.com) but needed to target the .NET 4 Client Profile (mostly on principle, frankly), so I poked through the TracerX source and found that it was really that easy, "remove one line of code" to make it work. Just remove the code that calls a System.Web component (disabling that functionality in the process) and it continues to work flawlessly. Good job on the code, by the way. It was really easy to follow and modify. Even though I see other people's code all day, I rarely find myself complimenting it.

I think it's important for you to have this change made in the source for future releases. Microsoft is gently pushing developers toward it (the .NET 4 Client Profile), and I suspect it's going to have a big role to play in the future of application portability. That aside, it reduces the attack surface of your application.

Anyway, thanks for the work. I really enjoy the viewer; it's what brings it all together into a really simple and effective solution for me.

Coordinator
Jan 12, 2011 at 1:45 AM
Edited Jan 12, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Due to overwhelming demand (two users), I released a version that uses the client-only subset of the .NET Framework.  I didn't create a whole new official release for it, but you can get it by downloading changeset 61551 from the "Source Code" tab. It's still a Visual Studio 2008 project, but it should convert to 2010 without any trouble. 

There is no loss of functionality, so it should still work with ASP.NET apps as before (as well as other types of apps).  It just uses a bit of reflection to detect if it's running in an ASP.NET environment when initializing.